Outboard Height on Bracket
    pmcnealy
    Site Admin
    Boat Name: Scallywag
    Boat Model: 240 Sportsman

Outboard Height on Bracket

by pmcnealy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:48 am

OK, after repowering, I notice my new Suzuki sits in the water quite a bit deeper than the old Mercury 2 stroke.
    20160905_101941.jpg
    20160905_101941.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 204 times
    20160904_115401.jpg
    20160904_115401.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 204 times
    There is also a big spray coming from the motor, at speed. Because of this, I think it makes sense to raise the motor. Unfortunately, my motor is already on the top hole.

Since there aren't any holes left, I picked-up a set of CMC Vertical Extensions from Boater's World in Lake Placid. Its a 5" rise, so I'm hoping there's some adjustability with it; I'm getting them installed tomorrow, and will add pics when done.

Interestingly, since I have a bracket, the motor has to come up quite a bit more than what would normally be required. Not being sure of the appropriate height, I called Stainless Marine (the manufacturer of my bracket). They told me the cavitation plate should be at least 3 1/2 inches above the keel! That seems super-high to me, but I will try it and give an update here.
    Patrick
    ProlineOwnerForum.com Founder
  • terryhan05
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 24 Sport

Re: Outboard Height on Bracket

by terryhan05 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 am

What is the weight differens? It seems that the bracket is almost under water.
  • Slough
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 240 sportsman

by Slough » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 pm

What does it look like on plane?
    pmcnealy
    Site Admin

by pmcnealy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I've made a couple changes since this pic was taken; I fixed the water intrusion issue with the bracket, and moved the batteries to the console.

The bracket was leaking at the drain plug and the top inspection cover. The folks at Stainless Marine sorted me out with an upgraded inspection cover and replacement plug (knowledgeable people, BTW).

The motor added about 100lbs, so I moved the batteries to offset the weight.

On plane, the bracket is completely out of the water, but the motor has a big spray from being so low. According to Stainless Marine, the cavitation plate should be at least 3 1/2 inches above the keel. I have my buddy at Neely's Marine installing a set of CMC vertical extensions to get it up that high.

I'm going out this weekend with fingers crossed, and high hopes...
    Patrick
  • terryhan05
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 24 Sport

by terryhan05 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:13 am

Would it be wrong to ask for the info on ur repower. Year and cost of motor. Did u rig ur self. If so how hard was it to redo the controls and gauges. What year is your proline. I just ask because mine is a 1996 and my Mercury 250EFI is like that beer commercial stay thirsty my friend! I would love to repower mi self.
    pmcnealy
    Site Admin

by pmcnealy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Would it be wrong to ask for the info on ur repower. Year and cost of motor. Did u rig ur self. If so how hard was it to redo the controls and gauges. What year is your proline. I just ask because mine is a 1996 and my Mercury 250EFI is like that beer commercial stay thirsty my friend! I would love to repower mi self.
    I certainly don't mind. My Proling is a 1996 240 Sportsman. I bought it from Boater's World in Lake Placid, FL. I have a connection there and was able to get a demo credit from Suzuki, so I don't think it would be fair to quote a price. However, I am confident they have the lowest prices out there (and they'll ship to a local dealer for rigging). As far as rigging, I had BW do it for me.

All-in-all, I am really happy with it. I can be WOT and all I hear is water splashing down the side of my boat! The only downside of repowering to a 4 stroke is the weight. I had to move the batteries to the console, and the motor is still a little deep on the top hole. I am currently having a CMC vertical extension installed to get the motor to the recommended 3 1/2 inches above the keel.

Also, fuel consumption is great! I use regular pump gas (no rec fuel here), so I save about a buck a gallon there, too.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach-out if you have more questions.
    Patrick