Do you use Rec Fuel, or Just Regular Pump Gas
  • Do you use rec fuel or regular pump gas?

Rec fuel in 2 stroke
    17%
    Regular pump gas in 2 stroke
    33%
    Rec fuel in 4 stroke
    17%
    Regular pump gas in 4 stroke
    33%

Total votes: 6
    pmcnealy
    Site Admin
    Boat Name: Scallywag
    Boat Model: 240 Sportsman

Do you use Rec Fuel, or Just Regular Pump Gas

by pmcnealy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:42 am

No doubt, the ethanol debate has been going for a while now. What I'm curious about is what you are actually putting in your tank; rec fuel or regular pump gas?

When I repowered (2016 Suzuki 250 4 stroke), I was told I could use regular pump gas as long as I didn't let the boat sit for longer than a month. I've been following that advice, but sometimes wonder if I'm going to pay for it in the future. Thoughts?
    Patrick
    ProlineOwnerForum.com Founder
  • adam9066
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model:

Re: Do you use Rec Fuel, or Just Regular Pump Gas

by adam9066 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 am

we dont have a choice here in the lower Chesapeake bay. Its E-10 or nothing at all.
  • Nick392
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 24 sport

by Nick392 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 pm

I've been filling up with E-10, 87 octane for about 8-9 years. I had to change the fuel line to E10 compatible and replaced the fuel filters. Whenever I fill up, I add Startron and have had zero issues. I originally had a Honda 225 and re-powered last year with a Suzuki 300. Both engines had no fuel related problems.
  • Slough
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 240 sportsman

by Slough » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

I run rec 87 (89 is not available around me). 96 Mercury 225 (now) 89 200 Rude (old boat). Seen the down side to ethanol and just feel the extra $ is worth it in the long run.
  • ez3putt
    Boat Name:
    Boat Model: 22 Bay

by ez3putt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 pm

I only used pump gas in my 2004 Yamaha 115 2 stroke until a couple of years ago. Had the carbs rebuilt and have since only used REC. On my 2006 Suzuki DF225, I have so far only used REC since I bought it in June of this year. REC is much easier to find now that WAWA has moved to town. When I bought the Zuke, I had the local Suzuki dealer do a 100 hour service and asked him the same question. He said he runs pump gas in his 4 strokes when he is in the Keys and using it every day until he fills the final tank. Then he uses REC since the motor may be sitting up for a few weeks. He also said he runs about ten gallons of NAV gas through it when he gets back home. The Zuke will only see REC-90 going forward since it stays at a dry stack and marinas are the only viable fuel source available.